Monday, October 29, 2007
So THAT'S Why He's Such a Buttwipe!
So when I was writing some scenes for my spec pilot, one of my characters insisted on acting all pissy towards my main character for no apparent reason, coming off like a real a-hole instead of the likeable goofball I'd pictured him as. So I wrote it the way he wanted it, while worrying a bit what the hell I was going to do with a character I hadn't exactly planned for.

And then, a few minutes ago, I discovered something about that character that not only explained the pissiness, but added far more depth to his character, improved the overall story line, AND provided me with the perfect ending for the final scene.

Weird how that works, isn't it? Good writers don't force it. They LET it happen. I think a talented writer is less a creator and more of a conduit, if that makes any sense. And then I was reminded of a post I wrote on a literature blog last year about this very subject. It deals with book characters, but really, it applies to all writing. I'll put it below here. What do you think? Writers: creators or conduits?


"On The Street Where You Live"

When I was a kid and finished reading a book I loved, I would write a fan letter. But not to the author. To the character I liked the most. I copied the publishing company’s address from the book, and sent the letter away, figuring they’d forward it to Ramona Quimby or whoever I wrote to that day.

Even as a youngster, I understood the concept of writing, as I wrote my own stories from a very young age. I knew about ‘making up’ people and places, but it never seemed right that my favorite characters weren’t ‘real.’ And sometimes I think, well, maybe they are real.

A few years ago, I read a beautiful little book called “Einstein’s Dreams.” It’s an unusual book in that it’s both scientific and literary; both a physics professor and a humanities professor would be equally adept at teaching it. Basically, Einstein falls asleep and we’re privy to his dreams, which contain 30 different short stories about alternate times and dimensions occurring around us. In one world, people live for eternity, in another, for one day. One dimension is frozen in time; even the raindrops hang in mid-air. It’s beautiful and strange and somehow, entirely possible.

What if the world we live in is simply one of these ‘layers?’ It’s conceited to think our way is the only way, isn’t it? While we go ahead with our daily business, right along beside us, though we can’t see it, could be a place where animals talk or time flows backwards.

There could be a world where all our beloved book characters are real.

Anyone who writes knows that it is a strange process, and you don’t so much ‘create’ things as let them flow into you. It’s impossible to force characters to behave; good writers often describe themselves as being more of a medium than a creator, a conduit for inspiration and ideas that use the writer’s body to capture these adventures on paper. So maybe truly gifted writers are not inventors, but are somehow especially in tune with these other worlds, and are able to feel and hear and see things the rest of us can’t.

A while back, I found a rough draft of a letter I wrote Ramona. Here is the first line in its misspelled glory: On the street where you live, are there swiming pools, and, do you have a best friend?

On the street where you live right now, there may be another street, one you can’t see, where an eight-year-old girl fights with her sister Beezus, or a Victorian orphan trudges through the snow.

If you were able to truly see and hear, who do you think you’d find on your street?


He says it's possible.
 
posted by Rhys at 10:56 PM | Permalink |


4 Comments:


  • At 10/30/07, 6:35 PM, Blogger ~Macarena~

    If he were merely a peewipe, he could be reused!

    "Conduit" makes perfect sense to me, but I'd like to know whether it sounds crazy to nonwriters.

    You must use "On the Street Where You Live" as a title, perhaps for the horror script/gift you will give the world. I know you like comedies, but can't you just slip it into a Hallowe'en episode? Pretty please? With violence on top?

     
  • At 11/1/07, 11:05 PM, Blogger Rhys

    My G-Mac is here! My G-Mac! Now it's a REAL blog! I never thought of that as a horror title, but you're brilliant as usual. You KNOW you want to move to L.A. with me and become famous horror writers.

    Reused peewipe...hee...I totally GET that reference. :)

    Miss you. :)

     
  • At 11/2/07, 10:26 PM, Blogger ~Macarena~

    Have I not commented previously? I was sure I'd said: Thank you SO much for using the title to discuss something other than infertility.

    I saw your Twitter complaint about horror, and you know what to do when you want something done right, child.

    We can be horror writers, but I'll be the eccentric one who telecommutes. We can have meetings via satellite and you can give me the smog report. But I will totally visit you so we can kick the gubernatorial balls. If we can find 'em.

     
  • At 11/3/07, 3:28 PM, Blogger Rhys

    Mwahaha! G-Mac is my cohort in horror. You heard it here, everyone! We will overthrow the hacks and bring horror to power again!!!!!!!!!!

    Hee. 'Gubernatorial balls' 2 funny words made even funnier together.